Thursday, March 17, 2011

My First Day at Nyumbani Village

The motivation
Being at Nyumbani Village is one of the best experiences I have had in my lifetime. I can describe it as a turning point for me, as I experience firsthand children orphaned by HIV/AIDS go through life’s turbulence with such optimism and hope, happy to have a place to call home, and a grandmother to look up to.
A New Experience
I have never had a chance to live among a different tribe from that of my own, and being with the Kamba has taught me a lot of things apart from giving me an opportunity to learn an extra language. The Kamba language is not difficult to learn, and I will slip in some terms here and there as we go through a typical day in the village.
The Village
Nyumbani is the typical village you find in your “shags” (countryside), with all, or most of the elements including a primary school, a multi-purpose social hall, a secondary school, a polytechnic, and a clinic, in addition to the basic unit, the, homesteads. Nyumbani village offers a refuge for children orphaned by HIV/AIDS, and destitute grandparents, who, together form the family units of 10-14 members, consisting of one grandparent and the rest being children. The family unit is allocated a house, constructed from locally produced blocks by use of the slowly becoming popular hydra form interlocking bricks. The families are also provided with a piece of land to till, and supported through various sustainable projects managed and run by the sustainability department. The children school at the local nursery, primary, secondary and polytechnic institutions.
Arrival...
When I arrived at Nyumbani to start off on my IT project, I was warmly welcomed by the villagers (as the people in the village are commonly known to each other, “I have become one too”).
My first stop was at the Administration block, where the Programme manager, Head of Sustainability and Homecare Manager have their offices. This is where my orientation tour would start.
The tour...
At first, due to my excitement and anxiety of joining a new environment, I didn’t notice the scorching sun, but soon I started feeling hot and sweaty all over and I realize that the sun here is scorching hot, not to mention the dust. This however does not distract me from my mission to the village, and our first day tour kicks off. Along the way, we meet children, grandmothers and staff, not in any hurry, probably due to the hot sun, and at one time I seem to be the one in too much hurry, then it occurs to me, this is not Nairobi, and I slow down. Later I come to realize that this is one lifestyle I got to have to adapt to, and the saying that goes like no hurry in Africa comes real to me. In the course of the tour, some common phrase that goes like “waacha” becomes familiar and is quickly followed by “aa” by some in our company. At first it doesn’t catch my attention much, but shortly I realize this is the local greetings, and I immediately join in the chorus. I have learnt my first two words in kamba.
Finally…
We complete our tour of the village at about 3pm, and am guided to my room at the guest house where I would stay for my project duration, equipped with solar lighting and an eco toilet (this is a story for another day), apart from the common amenities.
I settle down in my room, inspect everything to ensure am set to start off the next day, as a villager in the making. And was ready to set off for my tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment