Sunday, March 20, 2011

Not Just Computers…

The Stay... My stay at Nyumbani has been revolving around activities to do with computers, mostly training, and in some cases helping staff in troubleshooting issues, plus sourcing for computers to setup a lab that will be used for further training, skills sharpening, internet access, e.t.c. New Friends... However, this has not been the only activity that has taken my time. I have made new friends, from the top management to the child in cluster (this is a model used in Nyumbani village, which simply means 4 houses with a common wash area and other amenities), I have taken time out in the evenings and gone with friends to have some nyama choma at the nearby shopping center, Kwa Vonza, over 10 km from the village, and many others. Mine has been the normal life in the country side. My Best... But one thing that has impacted me is the interaction we’ve had with the 2010 secondary school finalists. This group has made me realize how much potential we have especially at this age of between 18 and 21 years of age. One thing to note is that this group has been very sharp in picking whatever I say in class. No comment, statement or word goes without sending a message to these young minds. It has been the best group to work with in the village, and I am amazed at their creativity. We have become friends with the students, and they are able to look up to me for answers on life issues, seek advice on career choice, have fun and crack jokes once in a while. Visit by UZIMA team... It is the same team that prompted me to request a visit by the UZIMA team at Safaricom (this is the group that deals with workplace projects on HIV/AIDS, and drives peer education in the company), where four members sacrificed their time off to visit the village and spend time with these young minds. We were able to interact on discussion forums and also play football and skip the rope together, not to mention establish lasting relationships with the UZIMA members as mentors to look up to. Am glad I Helped... Am glad I helped them where I could. Most of them are now ready to face life with confidence, having changed their view of life, having established mentors who they can look for and up to when in need of help and guidance, and having acquired skills(computer skills) that may just have been the opening to their careers. You can also help. You can be a mentor by joining their Facebook page titled nyumbani and get updated on what they are upto.You can also follow this blog and hear what they have to say...

No comments:

Post a Comment